NDS: starting the conversation

Hi folks,

My name is Ray Plante, and I am leading the team here at NCSA that is
assisting Ed with the organization of the NDS initiative.  To be sure,
it's very exciting to be able to talk with such a diverse group of
leaders on the important and timely issue of data sharing and
publishing.

As you've noticed, based on your responses to our invitiation to join
an NDS consortium or one of its advisory boards, we've taken the
liberty of adding you to the mailing list,
consortium@nationaldataservice.org.  You'll also notice that you are
free to post to this list.  Indeed, we hope you will use this list
freely to discuss issues of what the NDS should become.  We very much
want open discussion to be a hallmark of this initiative.

(I'll confess that a technical glitch put the wrong reply-to: in the
message; nevertheless, I'm happy for all of us to see how the meeting
is taking shape.)

If you want to communicate with us one-on-one, please use the
info@nationaldataservice.org address.  In particular, if you find the
consortium list too busy, we'll be happy to remove you from the list,
and keep you informed via the less busy "announce" list.

In the coming weeks, we'll be filling out the web site
(http://www.nationaldataservice.org/) with more information, including
details about the June meeting.  We'll be connecting a wiki as well,
giving you a chance to engage directly in the planning and discussion.

Finally, we appreciate that this is a busy time for most of us, and
not everyone will be able to make the June 12-13 meeting; however,
this will not be the only opportunity to be involved.  We're planning
some virtual discussions both before and after that I hope will keep
you fully connected with the process.

thanks for your excitement!
Ray Plante